Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thomas Hearns vs. John "The Beast" Mugabi

vCash

Thomas Hearns vs. John "The Beast" Mugabi

In their primes, at 154. Hearns seemed unbeatable at 154 . . . but then so did Mugabi. Both won spectacularly. Who drops the hammer first in this matchup of bombers who can also box well. Mugabi lasted against Hagler far better/longer than did Hearns, but that was at 160 . . .

vCash

Re: Thomas Hearns vs. John "The Beast" Mugabi

Wow! I remember that there was talk about these 2 getting together, but it never happen. The rumor is that Manny Stewart was scared to match these 2 together. Mugabi is bigger and stronger, but Hearns has better skills and is also a deadly puncher. At 154, Terry Norris destroyed Mugabi in 1 round and Norris was not the puncher that Hearns was IMO. I like Hearns by a late kayo, but it would surprise if Mugabi catches him like Barkley did and kayoes Hearns early.

Banned
    vCash

Not to denigrate Norris' abilities, but by the time he got Mugabi in the ring, the Beast had been ruined by Hagler. Like a lot of huge punchers, John was unable to rebound once his power had proved ineffective against a tough opponent. He had a few decent wins, but there were even more ignominious losses sprinkled over the rest of his career.

I believe Hearns would box like a son of gun over the first half of this matchup and take a substantial points lead late, possibly TKOing Mugabi. But, as you said, the Barkley fights are the blueprint for John in this meeting: resolve to take whatever you have to and wade in behind countless wild shots. Maybe one of them lands like Iran's right hand -- and it's over.

Tommy is an all-time great fighter, but I can't help but believe that he's a step down from being great-great. Like Lennox Lewis, his chin is going to betray him at some time, and all the proof we need of this is right there in the two Barkley matches. Iran was a good fighter, but far from a great one, yet he was able to beat Hearns twice when Tommy should have been near his prime. PeteLeo.

vCash

I think the winner of this is the guy who throws the faster sharper shots and IMO that is Hearns. Both had KO power, but Tommy was faster and was such a fast starter. Mugabi is physically very strong and if he can take Tommy's best early, I see him overwhelming Hearns late for a win. The reason Mugabi lasted long V Marvin was his physical strength. But Hagler does not have Tommy's 1 punch power and no matter how strong Mugabi may be, he could be clean KO'd if Tommy lands early and often. I am going on an early KO for Hearns....

Banned
    vCash

Perfect Pete

Re This:

"Not to denigrate Norris' abilities, but by the time he got Mugabi in the ring, the Beast had been ruined by Hagler. Like a lot of huge punchers, John was unable to rebound once his power had proved ineffective against a tough opponent. He had a few decent wins, but there were even more ignominious losses sprinkled over the rest of his career.

I believe Hearns would box like a son of gun over the first half of this matchup and take a substantial points lead late, possibly TKOing Mugabi. But, as you said, the Barkley fights are the blueprint for John in this meeting: resolve to take whatever you have to and wade in behind countless wild shots. Maybe one of them lands like Iran's right hand -- and it's over.

Tommy is an all-time great fighter, but I can't help but believe that he's a step down from being great-great. Like Lennox Lewis, his chin is going to betray him at some time, and all the proof we need of this is right there in the two Barkley matches. Iran was a good fighter, but far from a great one, yet he was able to beat Hearns twice when Tommy should have been near his prime. PeteLeo."

Absolutely perfect.

I agree with every point here to a T.

Hawk

vCash

I was pretty high on Tommy and he was one of my favourite fighters, but I was always fearful of Tommy facing off with 'The Beast.' It was probably one of the best match-ups not made in the 80's.

Mugabi was a very hard hitting middleweight and I don't think Hearns had the greatest durability at that weight. Mugabi was also a better boxer than given credit for, certainly a more skilled guy than Juan Roldan who shook Tommy bad and had him hanging on. I'm remembering Tommy all but KO'd by James Kinchen, stopped by Barkley, stopped by Hagler, and reeling around the ring in Leonard II.

It's tough to get a completely accurate gauge on Mugabi's talent since he went into a nose dive after the Hagler loss and never did face other top fighters of his era.

If Tommy catches and surprises Mugabi early rounds I can clearly see him winning by stoppage but the later this fight goes the probability of Hearns getting stopped increases.

vCash

I think Tommy needs a break: the number of fantasy fights and the like he seems to have been getting into lately he must be exhausted!

Banned
    vCash

Paulie

You aren't suggesting that there are other fighters to discuss other than a select 4 are you?

Next to Larry Holmes, Tommy is probably my favorite fighter.

But you are correct, let's give the man a rest!

He needs to shy away from the Harry Greb/Henry Anrstrong schedule that he has been keeping! Especially with this comp!

Hawk

vCash

Hawk, I'm happy to talk about, read about, watch,Tommy all day - sometimes when I cant sleep I put on the Schuler fight and that gives me some pointers - it's just that I'm worried that with his sinus problems another shot to the beak and we may have to get in the interpreters...

Banned
    vCash

I saw a comedian not too long ago

who pointed out that it is pretty fried that in order to go to sleep, you have to PRETEND to go to sleep.

Hearns Shuler obviously contradicts that premise.

But I tend to go with the "pretend" practice.

You find you won't wake up with a headache that way.

Hawk

vCash

Does anyone else think that though Mugabi fared so well V Hagler, he would have been clearly beat early had the peak Hagler been facing him. The Hagler of the early 80's. Mugabi may have been made to look better because Marvin in 1986 was slower and more predictable and ponderous. Hearns at peak against Mugabi is going to be a hell of a lot sharper and harder hitting than the 1986 Hagler...

vCash

The Shuler KO is one of the unde KO's of all-time in my book. He had that little space and that little space only between James' crossed arms and he nailed it.

Beautiful.

Banned
    vCash

That it was Husk

That James didn't break his legs when he collapsed, amazed me.

I know I have repeated this before, but I saw this card at the Flat Street Saloon in Brattleboro VT on Closed Circuit and after Gaby Canizales KO'd Richie Sandoval, I LITERALLY thought Richie, was dead. I did not think he was going to regain consciousness. Honestly.

Then Hearns comes out and delivers nearly as brutal a KO to Shuler and NEARLY the same concern began buzzing for Shuler.

Had Canizales Sandoval not JUST happened, I might not have had the same concern and jsut appreciated the KO moment. But there was duplicated sense of DREAD when Shuler went down.

Richie turned out to be ok and Shuler as well. Unfortunately until a few days later when he was killed in a motorcycle accident.

As awesome as the KO was, becuase of what happened (or what I THOUGHT happened) Just before it and what happened to Shuler about a week later, I have NEVER been able to TRULY appreciate just how awesome that KO was.

Hawk

vCash

The permanent loss of Black Gold was indeed tragic. I know two guys who knew him real well and by both accounts, he was a good guy. (Funny story, Zack Clayton, who reffed Ali-Foreman also worked at the gym near the Salvation Army that Shuler used to hang at with my friend Walt. Having read in the Philly Daily News that James wanted to get through with Hearns quickly so he could kick Hagler's ass, Zack asked him about it. James smiled and said "That's just talk, I ain't ready for Hagler at all".)

If there's one good memory about it, it was Tommy Hearns placing the belt he had won from James (NABF maybe?) in the casket. Speaks volumes about the kinda guy Tommy is -outside the ring. Can you imagine Leonard in the same situation?

He'd have sent a card with his name stamped on it...at best.

vCash

Hearns by early KO.

vCash

What a match up........Hearns or Mugabi. Based on what I saw from hearns vs Duran at 154 and how he was able to box Leonard and use the jab, then how he was also able to get his bombs off vs Hagler, I lean slightly with Hearns, but Michae Frank your summarization is on point.....Hearns is but one shot away at 154 from going down and out.

+ Reply to Thread