Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mike Tyson vs Teofilo Stevenson

vCash

Mike Tyson vs Teofilo Stevenson

I've got two questions.

Who would win, the amateur Stevenson, against Tyson, when they were both at their peak?

And suppose Mike Tyson who started to box at 12, is 18 years old and he reaches the Olympic heavyweight final. His opponent is Teofilo Stevenson, who is at the age of 32 in the prime of his life, and in his third Olympic final. What would the outcome be? And is this a fair match?

vCash

Re: Mike Tyson vs Teofilo Stevenson

Stevenson both times, I'd say by KO.

Tyson lost to Henry Tillman, a fine amateur, but after all a 201-lb-limit guy. Stevenson fought in what would, in Tyson's day be the 201+ division--bigger guys-- and was far more accomplished and experienced an amateur (even by his first Olympics in 1972) than either Tyson or Tillman.

If your first question refers to Tyson at his professional peak, then I take Tyson by KO2 over any Stevenson. But it's apples to oranges, I don't see the point.

The 18 y.o Tyson vs. 32 y.o. Stevenson is of course a "fair" match; if Tyson reaches the finals, then he's one of the two best.

vCash

Stevenson would probably stop Tyson late in the third round, too much experience.

vCash

He may win a decision, but, no way Stevenson stops Tyson in 3.

vCash

I haven't seen snough of Tyson aged 18, but the guy I would imagine has
    always had that solid chin, and power. I would bet against a KO loss.
    He also had defense, so a TKO loss is not something I would bet on.
    Last edited by walshb; 10-04-2011 at 01:27 PM.

vCash

By the way, Mike Tyson was legitimately knocked out by one Al Evans on December 12, 1982, and lost to Kimmuel Odum a year later by foul, as you can see in the link below:

http://cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/tysonrec.htm

So, it is entirely possible that the vastly more experienced Stevenson could flatten that version of Mike inside the distance.

Cheers,

Juan
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 10-05-2011 at 09:05 AM.

vCash

Come on, Juan. Tyson was only 16 years old when he fought Al Evans. The difference between 16 years of age when he was a child novice and 18 or 19 with physical maturation and experience was dramatic to say the least. And that would be true of any fighter, not just Tyson.

vCash

And, by the way, at the Time of the fight, Al Evans was 24 years old. Apparently he was not supposed to be allowed in that tournament because he was too old, but they let it slide.

vCash

Actually, I just looked it up and Evans was almost 28, and was a Chicago Golden Gloves champion when he fought the 16 year old Mike Tyson. I have zero doubt whatsoever that if they had met when Tyson was 18, the result would have been a Kayo win for Tyson. He cleary improved at an astonishing rate.

vCash

I'm sorry that it took so long to get back to you, Julian Jackson. I've been busy with work, other commitments and spending time with my bride as a newlywed.

Regarding Tyson, even though he was only 16 in that referenced knockout loss to Al Evans, I still believe he could be in serious trouble against Stevenson at age 18.

Keep this in mind: He LOST to Henry Tillman in the box-offs to get to the Olympics, and Tillman was NEVER the puncher that Stevenson was. Not even close. Stevenson not only could box, but he struck suddenly, with great speed, velocity and power. Ever watch his one-punch knockout of Dwayne Bobick or other, similar demolitions of world-rated opposition in the Olympics?

And, say what you will about Tyson being ill-prepared, but he was only 23, close to 24, when he got knocked out by James "Buster" Douglas in Tokyo. He was beaten up and counted out. Granted, Douglas was a heck of a talent that went largely unused, but I would venture to say that he did not possess the power that Stevenson had.

So, granted, Tyson at 18 was quite the force. It would be easy to say that Tyson wins handily and, had he connected right with Stevenson, could flatten him but good. However, I could also see Teofilo Stevenson rifling in one of those devastating rights, hurting, and then finishing a young, bent for hell Tyson inside three rounds.

Wouldn't it be fun to find out?

vCash

Agreed, it would definitely be fun to find out. Wish there was any heavyweight out there these days that even remotely resembled Tyson or Stevenson.

vCash

"Regarding Tyson, even though he was only 16 in that referenced knockout loss to Al Evans, I still believe he could be in serious trouble against Stevenson at age 18."

Juan, whatever trouble he could be in at 18 I believe he is in much deeper trouble at 16.

And, whatever trouble he'd be in at 20, again, deeper trouble at 18.

The Douglas loss was ten pro rds of action. AMS are three pro rds, and didn't they use
    headger too in the early to mid 80s?

vCash

The Douglas loss was ten pro rds of action. AMS are three pro rds, and didn't they use
    headger too in the early to mid 80s?
    My point was that James "Buster" Douglas, who would never be mistaken for being the puncher that Stevenson was, rocked, wobbled and knocked out Mike Tyson. And headgear, while being good at helping prevent cuts from headbutts, would not prevent knockouts (see all the knockouts recorded by Stevenson and many others, for example). Needless to say, the chin strap of the headgear does not protect the chin!

Bottom line, if Stevenson hurt Tyson with one of his lethal straight rights to the chin cleanly, I'd venture to say that with cleanly landed follow-up shots, it isn't too hard to imagine him knocking him out like Douglas did, only much, much sooner.

Can't be done, you say? Remember Frank Bruno rocking Tyson in their first fight? He didn't manage to land anything decent after that, as I recall, but had he, Tyson might have gone bye-bye early, too! And, honestly, I do not believe Bruno had anything on Stevenson, in terms of power punching ability.

I still remember watching a sports show, where a young George Foreman, replete with all his hair, was introduced to Teofilo Stevenson at ringside. Noticeably shorter than Stevenson, a wide grinning Foreman stood by his side, patting his shoulder, saying, "My friend, my friend!" I don't think it was all an act, needless to say. He truly respected Stevenson as the lethal puncher that he was.

vCash

I just revisited that film clip with George Forerman, who after watching Stevenson demolish John Tate, said that Stevenson could win the world heavyweight title. It wouldn't matter who he fought to win it -- Ali, him, whomever -- he could win it, if he was hungry enough.

Here is that film clip, where you can see and hear Foreman say those words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW7MkLz6vxs

vCash

And here is a short clip of Stevenson vs. Igor Vysotsky -- Stevenson's "Cryptonite", whom he couldn't beat despite two tries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=VOPnzGQLN28

+ Reply to Thread